The North Olympic Discovery Marathon takes place on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
The event hub is downtown Port Angeles and all event activities are within walking distance. Downtown offers hotels, restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and access to the waterfront.
NODM events take place over the two day weekend. Read below for specific race details.
All events finish at City Pier in downtown Port Angeles. The Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K races are point to point and have separate start venues. Free shuttles from downtown are available for participants to take to their race start.
City Pier is open to the public on race day and all spectators, family, friends, and community members are invited to attend. We hope you will plan to run, play, and explore the amazing peninsula.
- Noon – 6 pm – Packet Pick Up, Race Expo and FREE Kineso Taping (by TAI) at Red Lion Hotel, Port Angeles
- 4:00 pm – Kids Marathon at City Pier, Port Angeles
- 4:30 pm – 7 pm – Pasta Dinner at the Elwha Heritage Center
Sunday Race Start Times
- 6:00 am – Marathon Walk at 7 Cedars Casino, Blyn, WA
- This early start time is for walkers/joggers anticipating a finish time greater than 5 1/2 hours. This is not an optional start time and runners who start early and finish under 5 1/2 hours will be reviewed and risk disqualification.
- 7:30 am – Marathon and Marathon Relay at 7 Cedars Casino, Blyn, WA
- 8:30 am – Half Marathon at Storm King Soccer Fields, 1240 N Barr Rd, Port Angeles
- 9:00 am – 10K at Deer Park Overlook/Buchanan Road, Port Angeles
- 9:00 am – 5K at City Pier, Port Angeles
Sunday Finish Line Celebration with Beer Garden
- 9:30 am – 1:30 pm – All events finish at City Pier, Port Angeles
Music, Beer Garden, food, awards, massage, shirt exchange, photo opportunities, beachcombing…
Packet Pick Up and Race Expo
All participants will need to pick-up their assigned packet which includes their race bib and timing chip, gear bag (if needed), race shirt and goodies. The NODM Race Expo takes place at the same time and offers participants the opportunity to purchase last minute gels, cool running garb, gather visitor information, and more.
Late Packet Pick-Up
Participants are strongly encouraged to pick up their packets on Saturday. Getting your packet on Saturday will take away unnecessary stress on race day. Packets can be picked up by friends or family members if you can’t make it.
Race bibs and timing chips not picked up Saturday will be taken to the respective starts on Sunday morning. Late packet pick-up shirts will be available at the finish line.
Shuttles to the Race Starts
Buses depart from the Gateway Transit Center. Free and pay parking is available throughout the downtown corridor. Your car will be within walking distance of the finish line after the race.
We strongly encourage participants to take the shuttle to their start. This eliminates congestion at the start where parking is limited.
Buses run continuously (load and go). There are no reserved seats or times.
- Marathon Walk – 5:15 am bus departure
- Marathon – 5:45am -6:30am
- Half Marathon – 6:45am – 7:30am
- 10K – 7:45 am – 8:30 am
- 5K (no bus transportation needed for the 5K event)
For Marathon and Half Marathon only. If you choose to park at your race start, there is a bus available to take you back to your car. Buses depart from the Gateway Transit Center – one block west of the finish line.
- We strongly encourage participants to ride the shuttle to their start!
- Park in downtown Port Angeles – where all races finish. There are several free and pay parking lots in downtown, within walking distance to the buses. Bring appropriate cash ($6-$11) for parking in pay lots.
- Load buses at the Gateway Transit Center – just one block west of the Red Lion Host Hotel on Front and Lincoln Streets, Port Angeles.
- Buses are first come first served and will depart when full. There are no reserved bus times. Buses operate continuously during the departure schedule above.
- Reservations are required for planning purposes. We ask that you indicate your shuttle need when you register.
- To change your reservation, send an email to: email@example.com before May 25th
- Shuttle cost is included in your entry fee.
- Gear bags are available at packet pick-up for Marathon and Half Marathon participants. The marathon start offers inside waiting. The half marathon start does not offer shelter – dress warm.
- 10K runners should dress warm with thrift store sweats. You can discard them at the start and NODM will re-donate them to the local Goodwill store.
- Only registered athletes are allowed on shuttles. Family members are not allowed to ride the shuttle in order to watch the race start because buses will be returning to the transit center before the start of the races.
- Registered athletes who are picking up their race packet at their race start will be permitted on the bus without their bib number.
- There is no pick-up or drop-off service to the hotels.
- Make sure you load the correct bus either to the Marathon /Half Marathon venue or 10K start.
Because the Marathon and Half Marathon are point to point, a clothing drop is providing at each start. There is not a covered shelter at the half-marathon race start. Dress warm!
An optional gear bag will be provided at registration.
- If you are not sure you need a bag, take one… if you know for sure that you won’t need one, please help us preserve resources and decline.
- Mark your gear bag with a sharpie, in the space provided, to match your bib number.
On race day, take what you need to the start – extra clothes, food, magazine, disposable camera… And just before the race starts, put everything but what you need for the run in your bag, drop it off at the school bus, and it will be transported back to the finish area for you.
10K runners are encouraged to wear warm-up clothes from a thrift store and discard them at the start.
Parking at the Marathon start
There is plenty of parking in the rear of the 7 Cedars Casino located at 270756 Highway 101, Sequim, WA 98382 (on the eastside of Sequim).
Parking at the Half Marathon start
Limited parking is available.
Arrive early and be patient with the volunteer parking crew.
Park in the designated area only. DO NOT park on Old Olympic Highway or in the marked No Parking zones.
Parking areas are not paved.
Please carpool when possible.
Respect private property.
From Port Angeles:
• Head East on HWY 101
•Turn Left onto Old Olympic Hwy. Follow for 2.8 miles.
•Turn Left onto Matson Rd.
•Turn Right onto Finn Hall Rd.
•Turn Right onto Gunn Rd.
•Parking on your Right.
• Head West on HWY 101
•Turn Right onto Kitchen Dick Rd.
•Turn Left onto Old Olympic Hwy.
•Turn Right onto Gunn Rd.
•Parking on your Left.
Parking at the 10K Start
Parking is available at the Deer Park Cinema on the south side of Highway 101. Runners will walk 1/4 mile to the start using the highway underpass. Vehicles need to be moved from the cinema before 1pm.
Parking at the 5K Start and Finish Line – downtown Port Angeles
There are several free downtown parking lots as well as pay parking lots ranging from $6 to $11- bring appropriate cash.
Race Bib and Timing Chip
A numbered race bib and electronic timing chip are personally assigned to each registered athlete. All participants are required to pin their race bib to the front of their shirt.
- The timing chip is attached to the race bib and must be worn during the race and across the finish line in order to get a result.
- If you lose your bib and chip before the race start, notify a volunteer who can re-issue one to you.
- Do not trade with other participants.
- Do not wear bibs or timing chips that have been issued to another participant. Doing so could result in disqualification.
- If you retrieve your bib and chip at packet pick-up but decide not to run on race day, please return the bib and chip to a volunteer.
- After you cross the finish line, you may remove and dispose of your electronic chip. If you plan to stay around the finis line area you should remove your chip to avoid setting off the timing matts.
- The event will be timed by AccuStat Sports Timing. For more information visit their website.
- Results will be posted at the finish venue and on this website after the event.
Overall Male and Female winner of each event will receive a special award and free entry to next year’s event. Age Group Awards will be presented to the top three winners of each age group, male/female.
Marathon: 19 & under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70 -74 and 75 and over. Marathon runners must be at least 16 years old to participate.
Half Marathon: 14 & under, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70 and over.
5k/10k: 12 & under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 and over.
Relay Team Categories (2-5 persons): Junior (19 & under), Men’s Open, Women’s Open, Mixed Open, Masters Open (40 & over), Grand Olympic Open (55 & Over). Relay runners will receive a finisher’s medal.
Course Time Limits
The course will close at 1:30pm (6 hours for marathon start, 7.5 hours for marathon walk start). But we are always there for the last finisher!
Miles are marked on the trail at every mile.
Medals and Shirts
All participants will receive a high-quality performance garment. Finishers of the Marathon and Half Marathon will receive a beautiful finisher medal. The NODM medals are designed by local artist, Nicole Phillips.
Participants will receive the shirt size that they registered for (no exceptions). There will be an un-facilitated shirt exchange (providing there are extra shirts) meeting area in the finish corral. No shirt exchanges will be made prior to the posted times. We want you to be happy with your shirt size, but please do not ask for a special exception to exchange your shirt early.
Awards will be presented to the:
- Top overall male and female for each event
- Top 3 in each age group (male and female)
Visit the Results and Awards tent at the finish pavilion.
If you are an age group winner who was unable to pick-up your award at the event, please follow these instructions to receive your award by mail:
- Complete the 2017 Awards Form
- Include a check / money order for the postage fee
- Postage Fee is $10 for US addresses and $15 for Canada or other country addresses.
- Make check payable to PAMA
- Send completed form and payment to: PAMA, PO Box 431, Port Angeles, WA 98362 (must be received by the end of June).
If you are a local award recipient, please contact the Race Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) and arrangements can be made to pick up your award (no charge).
Pacers – Super Pacers
Super Pacers provides Half Marathon and Marathon pacers for events across the United States and abroad. Their pacers are professional, but have FUN while helping other runners reach their goals. Whether it is a Boston Qualifying Time you are looking for, a P.R., or just someone to run with, thry are there to help!
Marathon pacers: 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45 and 5:00
Half Marathon pacers: 1:50, 2:00, 2:10, 2:15, 2:20, 2:30
Enthusiastically staffed aid/water stations (each with fun and original themes) will be provided approximately every 2 miles along the marathon and half marathon course.
Available at all water stations:
- Gatorade (half strength)
- 1st Aid
Select Water Stations will also offer:
- Hammer Gel
Port a Potties are located at each race start and throughout the course. Please respect private property.
We welcome walkers in ALL events. Marathon Walkers will start early. This is a great walking course! The water stations and the finish line welcome every participant regardless of their time!
Half Marathon, 10K and 5K walkers will follow the same instructions, same course, same start time and place as the runners in those events.
Free Professional Photos
We have a professional photographer at the finish line and throughout the course. The photos are available for download 2 weeks after the marathon on our Photo Page.
Music, Food, Massage…
One thing in particular that makes this race stand out above the rest is our amazing finish line. Every finisher is personally greeted. The celebration starts with a beautiful finisher’s medal (Marathon and Half Marathon) and a cold drink. And our volunteers will make sure you find your way to waiting family members, bag claim, food, music, and massage.
Don’t miss the food tent – it’s located just outside the finish compound. There will be lots of tasty treats to help replenish your body including the best fresh fruit on earth supplied by Sunny Farms.
There will be live music, Joy in Mudville, at the pavilion as well. So enjoy the food and music while you wait for the results or your massage.
The finish venue is located right in downtown Port Angeles, so find time to wander through the numerous shops and restaurants. Spectators and energetic participants can kayak, or arrange hiking and cycling day trips with the local bike, kayak and mountaineering stores in town.
15 minute post-race massage available near the food and music tent.
Already registered but would like to add the massage? Send a note with your name, event and contact email or phone along with a check payable to PAMA and mail to: PAMA, P O Box 431, Port Angeles, WA 98362. Do not mail massage requests after May 20th.
Lost and Found
Lost and found will be at the bag check area on Sunday. If you find any personal items in the race area or registration area, or you lose anything, please check in with the bag check volunteers in the finish venue.