This page will keep you, our valued participants and partners, informed about the latest developments concerning COVID – 19.
APRIL 11, 2020:
I’m sure you are wondering what the status of the18th Annual North Olympic Discovery Marathon is in regards to the COVID-19 Pandemic. After careful consideration and discussions with our Medical Partners, Industry and Municipal Leaders, a decision has been determined to cancel the physical events planned for June 7, 2020.
We value our running community and putting on this event each year for you is what we love to do. We recognize your disappointment. We wish nothing more than being able to be at the finish line to celebrate your accomplishments. This unfortunate situation is beyond any of our control and what is important now is that we all pull together to do whatever we have to in order to get us back to a safe and healthy community.
In 2019, the Port Angeles Marathon Association created and began producing another event in addition to the North Olympic Discovery Marathon. In fact, we created an entire year-long running series called Run the Peninsula. A virtual race option was included and somewhat to our surprise has become a very popular and wildly successful part of what we do.
We understand the importance of social distancing. Workplaces, families, social and educational groups are paving the way for how we can safely “gather” via the internet. We are excited to be able to offer a virtual event to you and for you to be a part of a positive solution as we navigate through this unprecedented time.
Between now and May 1st, we ask that you go online to convert your entry to “VIRTUAL”. If this change is not made by May 1st, don’t worry we will make the change for you (See instructions below for Transfer Event).
Once you do so, we will prepare your personal race package and mail it to you (these will be mailed out by the 1st week in June). This includes your race bib, running shirt, drawstring gear bag, and medal. We will also include a “thank you” coupon good for 20% off next year’s race. A detailed description of “how” to do the virtual race can be found on our website.(www.nodm.com/virtualrace).
Upon completion of your run, please submit your results (www.nodm.com/results). We encourage you to use all social media platforms to share pictures of your accomplishment. This is how we really can come together during this challenging time.
Additional options and information:
For those of you who live near us AND if the WA State Stay At Home order has been lifted by the Governor by June 1st, we will set-up and mark all courses so that you can complete your virtual race on the beautiful NODM course instead of on your home course. The course will be set up starting June 1st. Go to the NODM website to view your course map and details (www.nodm.com/course/). If you choose to change events, you can do so. Registration for the virtual race remains open. Challenge your friends and family to join you.
If you choose not to run this year’s NODM Virtual event, we hope you will consider the following three options:
1. Transfer to a different 2020 Run the Peninsula event. There are two remaining Run the Peninsula events (See instructions below for transfer to another race). October 17th, Larry Scott Trail, Port Townsend (5K/10K/Half) or December 5th, Jamestown S’Klallam Tribal Center, Blyn (5K/10K)
All transfer fees are waived. There will be a change in price if you upgrade from the 5K/10K to the Half.
2. Donations: The Port Angeles Marathon Association is a Non-profit organization. If you cancel, your registration fees will be converted to a donation and a receipt will be emailed to you. (Please email us at email@example.com for this option and we will be sure to provide you a tax donation letter).
3. Deferral: Free deferral to 2021 North Olympic Discovery Marathon on June 6th, 2021. (See instructions below for defer registration).
Registration fees cannot be reimbursed. We appreciate your understanding. Your support ensures the health and strength of our non profit organization and the work we do to bring a world class event to the rural communities on the Olympic Peninsula.
Participants who have registered for Pasta Dinner & Massages will be refunded for those add-on features. You refunds will be issued by the end of April.
Fighting this pandemic is a marathon not a sprint. Stay home, stay healthy, and let’s all cross this finish line together.
Good luck with your virtual run and we look forward to seeing your proud finishing photos.
Victoria Jones, Race Director
PAMA Board of Directors
Please do the following to switch from onsite to virtual, transfer or defer your entry
1. Login to your Runsignup account: runsignup.com
2. To the right of your race select Manage Registration
Select what you would like to do:
1. Transfer Event: Select “Transfer Event” if you would like to transfer to the VIRTUAL Railroad Bridge Run. You will be mailed your race bib, running gloves (swag for this event) and medal.
2. Transfer to Another Event: Select “Transfer to Another Race” if you would like to transfer your registration one of our 2 remaining races in 2020. You will be able to select which race and distance to run.
3. Defer Registration: Select “Defer Registration” If you would like to defer your registration to 2021.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT A VIRTUAL RACE IS
April 1, 2020
We know that you are all wondering if the 2020 North Olympic Discovery Marathon will proceed on Sunday, June 7. We are hoping for the best, but we are currently planning for all sorts of outcomes. As of April 1, 2020 we are not canceling the race. We remain optimistic.
Currently, Washington State Governor, Jay Inslee, has a “stay-at-home” order. This tells us that our government needs more time to understand the results of the “stay at home” and social distancing order. The “stay-at-home” order is still in the original 2-week timeframe and the government needs to see if this order is successfully flattening the curve.
We will be sending out weekly updates on the status of the June 7, 2020 North Olympic Discovery Marathon. You can also check for updates on our website: